Monday, June 23, 2008

Marine Sting Photos Wanted

I got an email from Dr. Paul Auerbach from Stanford University Medical Center. He hosts the blog, Medicine for the Outdoors. He's looking for photos of stings from marine animals.

Thanks for your kind comments about Medicine for the Outdoors at Grand Rounds this week. You have a great blog. If you ever encounter a marine animal sting for which you need assistance, please let me know - I serve as a consultant to the Divers Alert Network for that sort of thing.

Also, if you get any good photos of stings, eye or otherwise, it would be wonderful to see them, as I am always on the lookout for images for the textbook Wilderness Medicine and other teaching purposes. If you allow a photo to be used in a book, it would be credited as you indicate.


Divers, if you get any good photos, let me know and I'll put you in touch with Dr. Paul.

1 comment:

Bruce A. Bateman said...

Hi David,
I can't provide you with a picture but I received a painful sting the other day from a rabbitfish fry. Just a baby about 2 inches long but the sting from its dorsal fin hurt like the dickens for 3 hours or so, swelled and stayed red for a day or two and I can still feel it if I press down on it even now, some several days after the event.

A sting from a mature rabbitfish is excruciating, I've been told.