Sunday, January 20, 2008

When we lived in Waikiki

During the first year or our marriage, Mara had to return to Hawaii to finish her Masters in Public Health. She was here for 13 weeks, and I spent 8 of them with her, in a tiny studio apartment we had right on Kalakaua Avenue on the Waikiki strip. Our apartment building is the five-story one just behind the bus. Were were in the one on the top floor, left corner.

I loved it and every time I come here, I like to walk by that building. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary living there. The apartment was tiny with no kitchen. We bought a mini-fridge and a hotplate. While Mara was in classes, I'd watch TV. I'd work out at the gym in Waikiki. We'd go for walks. We'd eat at the little noodle shop across the street. We'd take the bus together to the grocery store or to Queen's Medical Library. We'd lay in the park. In the evening's we'd stroll amongst the tourists on the Kalakaua strip, basking in the vibrancy.

Living here is one of the fondest memories of our early years of marriage, and it's one of the reasons I love coming back to Waikiki.

2 comments:

Angelo Villagomez said...

That's a nice post.

I think Mara might renew your contract.

Marianas Eye said...

Wait, she's the boss?