Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wonder drug fails me

There is a saying in medicine: When a new drug comes out, make sure you use it while it still works.

The first two doses of the Baclofen worked great, eliminating the muscle spasms that feel like someone sticking a hot knife between my ribs. The spasms drop me to my knees, make me gasp and shriek simultaneously, and bring tears to my eyes. But the dose I took at 1 AM only lasted two hours. I didn't get much sleep after that. The next couple of doses only lasted two hours also, and the stuff makes me feel like I'm in a cloud.

So, now I'm just learning to move in such a way that the spasms don't occur. I'm getting better at it, but it's pretty delicate.

The X-ray showed some age appropriate degeneration (translation -- normal for a 45-year-old spine). There is probably some mild disk herniation there, which unless it starts causing neurological symptoms (numbness, weakness, tingling) is just treated conservatively.

5 comments:

rlbates said...

I feel for you. I had my ACF (C6-7) done almost 17 years ago now, but I can still remember the pain.

Marianas Eye said...

Thanks for the support, Ramona. I hope I can get through this without invoking a blade.

Anonymous said...

5/18/08I had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago and very recently had pancreatitis. Both events were preceded by several, attacks of severe lower back pain. This pain was so similar in both cases and has me crawling on the floor, crying, yelling, praying, etc. You might want to check out something other than spinal problems. Very best of luck. Donna J. Cruz

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I've had the same thing for years. About twice a year my back "locks up" and I can't move freely for about a week or so. The only thing that I have found that consistently works is the right exercise and the right stretching. Once you get into a spasm (and serious injury is ruled out) just keep moving nice and easy.

Randy

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I've had the same thing for years. About twice a year my back "locks up" and I can't move freely for about a week or so. The only thing that I have found that consistently works is the right exercise and the right stretching. Once you get into a spasm (and serious injury is ruled out) just keep moving nice and easy.

Randy