Thursday, March 6, 2008

Seasickness Drug

Well, it took some work, but I tracked down my sailing friend and go the name of the drug out of Europe that is good for seasickness. He had sailed to Saipan from Mexico, worked at the hospital for a few years, and then headed on to the Philippines on his boat. Now he's in New Zealand, flying to Borneo in two weeks to meet his boat and head out again. Here's his email about the drug.

Regarding the antiemetic, the generic name is Cinnarzine, usually sold under the brand name Stugeron, but I don't think it's available in the US. Scopolamine is a good place to start, but you should put the first patch on 12 hours before departure, and keep up a steady intake of nibbles of dry crackers (like saltines) and sips of flat ginger ale. Not too much, but just a little at a time. I know some people can't get over the seasickness at all, but this regime works for me for about 24 to 48 hours, then I'm OK for the rest of the trip.

1 comment:

Bruce A. Bateman said...

Say hi to the crew of the Finis Terra. They are drydocked just north of Kota Kinabalu and we eagerly await the logs of their further travels.

I hope the recommended prescription works for you, David.