Tuesday, March 25, 2008

George Carlin on Comedy and Humanity

Jeff Turbitt handed me a fascinating book today: Comedy at the Edge - How stand-up in the 1970's changed America. It's a history of modern stand-up starting with Lenny Bruce. In the chapter on George Carlin, Carlin states:

"I think I was looking for familiar frames of reference that lend themselves to distortion. Because distortion is one of the most important things in comedy. You look at an ordinary event, an ordinary tableau, and you say, what element can I distort in this? And suddenly you have at least the potential for a joke."

Later, Carlin more darkly observes,

"I sort of gave up on this whole human adventure a long time ago. Divorced myself from it emotionally. I think the human race has squandered its gift, and I think this country has squandered its promise. I think people in America sold out very cheaply, for sneakers and cheeseburgers. I think they lost their way, and I really have no sympathy for that. And I don't think it's fixable."

1 comment:

Brad Ruszala said...

so will my eye photos make it to the blog, doc?

thanks for all of the care i've been receiving at the marianas eye institute.

doc robertson and the russmeister have gone over and above the call of duty to make sure my eyes are well cared for.

...and thanks for having the fresh fruit on the counter. man that apple hit the spot.

oh, and $5 gas coupon for keeping my appointment was totally not expected. great stuff.