Sunday, August 17, 2008

I'm Back

Sort of... maybe... in a different way.

I've been in blogging rehab. Everything is okay. It's just that blogging was becoming a toxic force in my life. It was taking up way too much of my mental space. I was checking my hit counter every few hours, planning posts days in advance, writing things when I had nothing to write. And all for no clear purpose other than some narcissistic drive to climb higher in the blog rankings. It was pitiful.

I woke up and realized this, and one day, just quit. With the help of my family, I have been able to successfully withstand the pains of withdrawal, and I thank them for their loving support during this difficult time. I know that even writing this post is dangerous for me, since just a little sip has the power to strangle me in its clutches.

So, I'm not sure what the future holds. For now, I'm chilling out. I may post occasionally, when I'm compelled to share something I think is meaningful or profound, or to stay connected with family and friends in far-off lands. If you're from Saipan and you miss what you've been reading here, heck, call me up and let's go to lunch. You know how to get in touch with me.

10 comments:

rlbates said...

Glad to know you're okay. If I'm ever in Saipan, I'd love to have lunch with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I’ve missed your writing. I have checked your blog each day and will continue doing so. Donna J. Cruz

KAP said...

I know exactly how you feel. I don't want to be an enabler, but welcome back, I missed your posts.

Unknown said...

I apologize if this comment encourages you to continue blogging. Just take smaller sips, otherwise you may end up in Blogger's Anonymous.

Seriously though, thanks for the update.

Angelo Villagomez said...

Best way to get a hold of Dave:

Shoot a fire into your eye. He'll see you ASAP.

Anonymous said...

This post has increased my withdrawal pain! Hamid

Sean said...

Is it selfish that I want you to keep posting?

Bruce A. Bateman said...

If what you want is in your own mind, procured by and put there by your own efforts, then sharing it with others via a blog is not nearly as important as having it there and using it in your life, David.

Sounds like you made the correct decision.

Marianas Eye said...

Thanks, everyone. It's nice to be missed.

Dragonfly said...

Glad you are alright. I missed your posts. Enjoy the chilling.